Don’t ignore TMJ pain…
Your temporomanibular joint, commonly known as a TMJ, could be the source of a number of your oral health concerns. A dysfunction in this joint, referred to as TMD, can have a number of painful symptoms that extend beyond just your mouth. Here at Family Dental Excellence in Upper Mt Gravatt our team can help you treat TMJ pain.
Identify the symptoms
There are a number of symptoms that can indicate that you have TMD. These symptoms include:
- Pain in the jaw joint
- Discomfort in the jaw or facial muscles
- Restricted jaw movement or difficulty opening
- Persistent headaches
- Noticeable clenching or grinding habits
To learn more please continue reading below:
What is triggering your TMJ pain?
The above symptoms can all be related to a jaw or muscle misalignment. TMJ pain can be triggered by a number of factors, including:
- Stress: Stress is thought to be a major cause of TMJ pain. Increased stress or anxiety often causes people to grind their teeth and contract their facial and oral muscles.
- Grinding: Often related to stress, grinding puts additional pressure on your TMJ. Grinding is widely considered to be both a cause and a symptom of TMD.
- Arthritis of the TMJ
Amongst these factors there are also a number of other potential causes.
A grinding splint or occlusal splint can prevent the damage of bruxism
A splint, commonly known as a night guard, is a custom made oral appliance made from high quality acrylic which is used to reduce and absorb the force of clenching and grinding while you sleep. Wearing a night guard can also protect your teeth from further damage as well as relieve the pressure in your jaw joint and surrounding muscles.
To learn more about our treatments, or to book an appointment at our Upper Mt Gravatt dental practice, please contact our team.