Nitrous Laughing Gas
Nitrous Oxide, also known as laughing gas, can offer a virtually anxiety-free dental experience so your family can benefit from the treatment they need and want
While most of our child patients feel calm, comfortable and confident at our dental office sometime children may feel anxious before or during treatment. While our staff here at Family Dental Excellence in Upper Mt Gravatt are committed to making our patients feel relaxed, sometimes your child may need more support than a gentle, caring manner to feel comfortable. Through the use of laughing gas we are able to provide a safe and effective option which helps reduce a child’s anxiety during their dental treatment.
If you elect to have nitrous oxide during your child’s dental treatment (you need to give consent) the following points will help you understand more about the process.
What to expect:
- It is common for children to have sedation for procedures.
- Nitrous oxide sedation is done in the dental chair. Your child will take the sedation gas through a small nosepiece that sits on their nose.
- Children usually recover quickly from the effects of nitrous oxide gas sedation.
- The nitrous oxide makes children feel sleepy and relaxed.
- They will still be aware of what is happening around them but will feel more relaxed, dreamy and ‘floaty’.
- Some children may experience some mild tingling in their hands or feet temporarily during the procedures.
- While giving the nitrous oxide, staff will monitor your child’s level of sedation to ensure that they can still cooperate and hold their mouth open.
- Dental treatment will be done in the usual manner. Local anaesthesia may also be used and can be given when the child is sedated.
To learn more about our treatments, or to book an appointment at our Upper Mt Gravatt dental practice, please contact our team.