Early assessment of your child’s jaw and teeth alignment can provide both timely detection of problems and greater opportunity for more effective treatment when appropriate
The importance of straight teeth
Orthodontic treatment is associated with a number of potential benefits ; aesthetically, functionally and psychologically. Orthodontic treatment can guide your child’s teeth into their correct position, facilitating proper growth and development of their jaw, in addition to the following:
- Preserve space for un-erupted permanent teeth and reduce the likelihood of impacted permanent teeth
- Establish a symmetrical smile
- Eliminate cross-bites that, if uncorrected, may cause premature wear of the teeth
- Reduce the need for tooth extraction in the future
- Simplify and/or shorten treatment time for later corrective orthodontics
- Lower the risk of trauma to protruding front teeth
- Improve some speech problems
To learn more please continue reading below:
How do I know if my child needs orthodontic treatment?
Sometimes you may not know whether your child requires orthodontic treatment. If you notice any of the following warning signs you may wish to consider visiting the dentist for further evaluation of your child’s teeth.
- Failure of teeth to erupt
- Habits like thumb or finger sucking, tongue thrusting or mouth breathing
- Severely displaced teeth
- Biting the cheek or roof of the mouth
- Teeth that meet abnormally or not at all
- Upper and lower jaw mismatch
To learn more about our treatments, or to book an appointment at our Upper Mt Gravatt dental practice, please contact our team.